Choir workshop by Johannette Zomer, Annechien Koerselman and Dirkjan Horringa
with 6 performances in Italy & The Netherlands
Discount for early subscribers until 1 February 2017!
For advanced amateurs and professionals
Soprano Johannette Zomer has earned a worldwide reputation performing in operas, oratorios and concerts. She is passionate in her commitment as a singer and teacher and particularly enjoys working with young talented singers. In Tuscany J will also bring her wide range of abilities to working with the choir, together with conductor Dirkjan Horringa and director Annechien Koerselman. The cast of soloists will mostly consist of (soon-to-be) professionals.
Put you singing talent on stage!
In the course we will prepare and perform the opera DA of HP. Besides daily rehearsals with the choir there will be rehearsals with the soloists and the ensemble. The first performance will take place on Friday 14 July under the Tuscan starry night in the festival of Vinopera; the other performances will be in Holland. For the personal development of your voice J and DH will give, upon request, an individual lesson. There will be pop-up performances as well – you may find yourself singing in them!
Dido & Aeneas is a very attractive and much-loved piece for choir. It contains fourteen long and short choruses, amongst which are the festive To the hills and the vales and the very moving With drooping wings. All choruses are 4-part SATB. Naturally you will sing these choruses by heart, because in a staged production you will want to be free to move and act. We’ll be learning these pieces in Italy. This will be a smooth process, because there’s always someone else who knows what comes next!
There’s more than just singing…
The course-week in Querceto has much more to offer than just singing and relaxing around Castello Ginori.
- Saturday: reception and welcome drinks, meet-and-greet with the other course participants and fellow musicians.
- Sunday: you can visit the performance of the opera Gianni Schicchi of Puccini with an Italian cast.
- Tuesday: Italian cooking workshop.
- Thursday: performance of The Amsterdam Consort with exhibition.
- Friday: performace Dido & Aeneas with after-party.
- breathing- and relaxation exercises by flautist Jeannette Landré of the NBE.
Partners and children are welcome and can attend a course in painting (Dorine Kuiper) or photography (Rita Dollmann).
11 March audition and rehearsal day in Utrecht
27 May rehearsal day in Zutphen
8-14 July in Querceto, Tuscany
Performances in Italy and The Netherlands
14 July Tuscany (Querceto)
8 September try out Zutphen
9, 10 September Zutphen (Open Monumentendag, Dat Bolwerck)
23 September Ede
24 September Utrecht
30 September Muiden
Querceto in Tuscany
In the heart of the Val di Cecina, between Volterra and the Etruscan Coast, the Ginori Castle perches on top of a hill in Querceto, an enchanting medieval village.The medieval castle of the Ginori Lisci family contains almost all of Querceto. Earl Lorenzo and his wife Leonarde have developed the village and surroundings. Querceto is now completely restored and enjoys a thriving social and cultural life. From Querceto you will have an enchanting view of the hills of the Monterufoli nature reserve. www.castelloginoridiquerceto.it
The surroundings of Querceto
At 25 minutes distance by car you will find Bolgheri known for its famous wine of the same name, and the Etruscan coastal village Cecina, with its many fine fish restaurants. 25 minutes’ drive inland is Volterra with its Roman theatre, the Pallazo dei Priori and museum. Pisa is a 80 km drive, Florence 100.
- The workshops take place in Querceto
- The course is aimed at advanced and ambitious amateur singers. They need to have a quite well-trained (choir) voice, relevant experience in a chamber choir, and be able to study their parts independently. They must also like to act while singing and sing while acting.
– 1 and 2 persons deluxe apartments with own bathroom.
– for a higher fee castle apartments of Castello Ginori are available with use of swimming pool.
– breakfast and dinner included. (Drinks excluded).
Voice-test, music scores
It’s our wish to make the choir as homogeneous as possible, therefore we will organise a rehearsal day on 11 March in Utrecht, where we will make a voice-test. Scores will be sent after confirmation of participation.
Early-birds: until 1 February € 950*.– Until 1 May € 1.000*, after 1 May € 1.050,-
- at enrolment a prepayment of € 350 will be asked. If you are rejected after the voice-test on 11 March this will be returned.
- The amounts include your stay in a deluxe 2-person room with own bathroom and shared living room, half pension, and entry to the opera performances, concerts, and cooking workshop.
- Extra charge: enrolment € 15 pp; 1-person apartment € 20 a day; room with use of swimming pool € 20 a day; partners and family € 95* a day in 2-persons room (programme same as participants but excluding the choir course).
- The cost of a flight NL-PISA is excluded, this you should book yourself. If you leave a bit earlier and return later you can get a return from around € 110.
- Transport costs from airport Pisa-Querceto-Pisaare also excluded. Low-priced rental cars are available at Pisa airport and trains are also possible. At request private transport of € 30 per person can be arranged. (min 4 persons).
- When you make a one-off donation to ACP of € 450 you will get a reduced course fee of € 500 (until 1 February) or € 550 (until 1 May); for partners who make a one-off donation of € 450 the reduced fee is € 220.
Questions about the content of the course? mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Course and performances in co-productions.
Art Connects People, Sparrowtree and ALN etc. organise this choir course and the performance of DA together as a co-production. In the summer the A offers shelter for artists of European countries and gives them space for their own realization of workshops in the realm of art, photography, music, dancing, cooking and sculpting. In addition there is a varied programme of concerts and operas.
All information subject to change.